Effective Date: May 1, 2018
Last Updated: June 15, 2018
“Affiliate(s)” means SaferWatch’s owners, officers, directors, suppliers, affiliated companies, partners, sponsors, advertisers and advertising providers, and agents and representatives, and includes (without limitation) all parties involved in creating, producing, and/or delivering the Site, the App and any of our other Services (including Apple and Google).
“App” means the software application currently known as “SaferWatch” that may be downloaded, installed or is otherwise accessible on a User’s mobile device via the Site, the Apple App Store, the Google Play Store, or other similar platforms.
“Event Information” means any data, information, files, reports, content, media, tips, communications, notices, alerts, maps, written guidelines or operating procedures, or other material that a User inputs or uploads to the Site, the App or other portions of the Services or otherwise provides to the Service in connection with a User’s use of the Services. Event Information may include initial incident reporting and related content provided by a Public User or updates on incidents or emergencies provided by Organization Users. Event Information may include and be considered User Information when a User provides such information to the App.
“Organization” means an organization (including law enforcement agencies and other emergency service providers) that has entered into a written contract with SaferWatch for purposes of facilitating two-way communications between Users and that Organization during emergency and non-emergency situations and the reporting of situations, tips or other reports happening in and around geo-locations and certain addresses or otherwise making available certain Services functionality to certain Users.
“Services” means (i) the Site, (ii) the App, (iii) any specific service or offering that may be provided by SaferWatch via the Site or the App, (iv) any support services and related technologies that may be provided by SaferWatch in its sole discretion for maintaining and monitoring your use of the foregoing, and (v) any other services or offerings that SaferWatch may provide from time to time via the Site or the App.
“User” or “you” or “your” (and similar terms) means any person or entity that visits, views, uses or accesses any portion of the Site, the App or any of the other Services, which includes Public Users and Organization Users. “Public Users” are individuals that use public-facing portions of the Services in their personal or individual capacity. “Organization Users” are employees or agents of an Organization to the extent such employees or agents share information with SaferWatch as set forth herein when utilizing the Services on behalf of the Organization (and not in their public or individual capacity).
- Types of Information Collected. In order to better provide Users with SaferWatch’s Services, SaferWatch collects several types of information from and about Users, including Personally Identifiable Information and Non-Personally Identifiable Information (each as defined below and collectively referred to as “User Information”) as well as Event Information (together with User Information, “Collected Information”). SaferWatch’s primary goals in collecting information from User are to provide User with a smooth, efficient, and customized experience while using SaferWatch’s Site and/or the App, to provide the Services (including to facilitate two-way communications between individuals and Organizations during emergency and non-emergency situations), and to collect information related to the Services.
- Personally Identifiable Information. Personally Identifiable Information refers to information that lets SaferWatch know the specifics of who Users are. When a User engages in certain activities on the Site or the App, SaferWatch may ask that User to provide personal information, such as first and last name, organization name, home address, school and school address, email address, telephone number, location and activity data, facial recognition information and medical history information. For instance, when registering to use the Services, User provides their name and basic contact information (such as mobile number, work telephone, e-mail address, home address and, to the extent applicable, Organization name). Likewise if a User contacts SaferWatch via the provided forms or by sending SaferWatch an email, SaferWatch may ask User to provide certain information about User by filling out and submitting an online form. Depending upon the activity, some of the information SaferWatch asks User to provide is identified as mandatory and some as voluntary. If User does not provide the mandatory data with respect to a particular activity, User will not be able to engage in that activity. Our Terms of Service and/or End User License Agreement may also describe other Personally Identifiable Information that may be required from Users.
4.1.1 Personal Medical Information. The App may allow you to input and store certain medical information that you provide (“Medical Information”) which is considered Personally Identifiable Information. You may elect to provide this information or not. We do not provide Medical Information to Organizations and Organizations will not be able to access this Medical Information unless you have indicated an “emergency” or you “need help” (or a similar reporting situation is selected by you in the App). If you select such situation, your Medical Information may be shared with an Organization; provided, however, that not all Organizations have elected to receive such information and there is no guarantee that an Organization may receive it. YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR PROVIDING ANY MEDICAL INFORMATION OR HISTORY THROUGH TRADITIONAL CHANNELS IN EMERGENCY, CRITICAL AND ALL OTHER SITUATIONS.
4.2 Non-Personally Identifiable Information. Non-Personally Identifiable Information refers to information that does not by itself identify a specific User. SaferWatch gathers certain Non-Personally Identifiable Information about Users based upon their access to and use of the App and/or the Site, including, but not limited to: traffic data, location data, logs, communication data, the resources that a User accesses and uses on or through the App and/or the Site, the website’s Uniform Resource Locator (“URL”) from which User just came, to which URL User next goes, what browser User is using, and User’s Internet Protocol (“IP”) address. It can also include including information about your mobile device and internet connection, including the device’s unique device identifier, operating system, browser type, and mobile network information. This information can be compiled and analyzed on both a per-user and an aggregated basis. We may also collect other Non-Personally Identifiable Information. In certain cases we may combine Non-Personally Identifiable Information with Personally Identifiable Information in which case all resulting or connected data will be considered Personally Identifiable Information.
4.3 Information from Third Party Sites. We may collect, store and use certain User Information from third party sites and services that are accessible via or integrated with the Site or the App or are contemplated by use of the Services (e.g. Google accounts, etc.), including information that may be transmitted by such third party sites in connection with use of the Services. We may also receive access, store and/or use User Information that is collected by third party service providers and our other vendors related to your use of the Services (e.g. Google Analytics, etc.).
4.4 Event Information. The Services are designed to facilitate communications between Organizations and Organization Users on the one hand and Public Users on the other hand in emergency and non-emergency situations. To accomplish this, Public Users may communicate with Organizations and Organization Users by providing, uploading or otherwise submitting Event Information to the Services. Organization Users may likewise communicate with Public Users by providing, uploading or otherwise submitting Event Information to the Services. Event Information may include Personally Identifiable Information and Non-Personally Identifiable Information.
- Collection of Information.
5.1 Collection of Personally Identifiable Information. SaferWatch generally collects Personally Identifiable Information about a User when a User voluntarily provides it to SaferWatch or it is related to use of a Service (e.g. use of the App). User provides certain Personally Identifiable Information to SaferWatch when User (i) downloads and installs the App; (ii) provides information in the App or allows the App to access certain device permissions or settings; submits web forms or provides/imports information through the Site or the App, including information provided at the time of registering to use the Site or the App; (iii) transmits other information by telephone or email, including SaferWatch’s “contact us” web form; (iv) connects third party accounts or facilitates access by the Site or the App to such third party sites or accounts (e.g. Facebook or Google accounts); or (v) provides it via other methods SaferWatch may request or allow from time to time. SaferWatch may also collect Personally Identifiable Information from a User when using the App (e.g. via App settings or functionality such as location access) or at other locations on the Site or the App that state that such information is being collected.
5.3 Other Potential Methods for Collecting User Information. SaferWatch, and/or its Affiliates or its service and technology providers may use various methods to collect Personally and Non-Personally Identifiable Information about Users. These methods may include, but are not limited to (i) cookies – a small text file containing a string of alphanumeric characters placed on User’s computer or mobile device that identifies User’s web browser; (ii) analytics and user tracking technologies that may allow us to monitor what actions Users take on the Site or the App; (iii) log Files – information, which is automatically reported by User’s web browser each time User views a web page, possibly including, but not limited to, User’s IP address, browser type and language, number of clicks, domain names of websites visited, pages viewed, and the order of those pages, the amount of time spent on particular pages, the date and time; (iv) clear gifs – web beacons, which are pieces of data used to track the online usage patterns of Users anonymously, and which may also be used in HTML-based emails sent to Users to track which emails are opened by recipients; (v) third party service-based technologies and information, including, but not limited to, linked services (such as Google Accounts) that User authorizes to share information about User with SaferWatch; (vi) other social media or third party site connects or authorizations to share information’ (vii) other available technologies that may be integrated into the Site or the App; and (viii) requests for data or information collected through the Services.
5.4 Event Information. Event Information is voluntarily submitted to the Services by Public Users generally when reporting an incident as they see it happening, submitting a tip at a later time or otherwise when using the Services as a mechanism for communicating with Organizations and Organization Users. They are voluntarily submitted to the Services by Organization Users in order to communicate with SaferWatch, Public Users and/or other Organization Users in connection with emergency and non-emergency situations.
5.5 App Information. We may collect certain User Information when you use our App. Such Information may include:
- Device Information. We collect information from and about the devices you use. For example, we collect:
- information about your hardware and software, such as the hardware model, operating system version, device memory, advertising identifiers, unique application identifiers, apps installed, unique device identifiers, browser type, language, battery level, and time zone;
- information from device sensors, such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, compasses, microphones, and whether you have headphones connected; and
- information about your wireless and mobile network connections, such as mobile phone number, service provider, and signal strength.
- Device Phonebook. Because the Services allow you to send messages, we may collect information from your device’s phonebook and contact information. In addition, we may access your contacts in your phone.
- Camera and Photos. Many of our services require us to collect images and other information from your device’s camera and photos. For example, you won’t be able to send or upload photos from your camera roll unless we can access your camera or photos.
- Location Information. We may utilize location services on your mobile device to collect information about your precise location by using methods such as GPS, wireless networks, cell towers, Wi-Fi access points, and other sensors and technologies, such as gyroscopes, accelerometers, and compasses as well as other location-enabling technologies like iBeacons, RFID and Bluetooth. We may use this location data to send notifications and alerts to devices located in a specified geolocation area. We generally do not maintain a history of the location of a device, only where your device is at any given moment; provided that in emergency situations we may track the location of your device until the resolution of the emergency. Should you choose to disable location services, you will not receive such notifications intended for a specified geolocation and we will not be enabled to collect your device location. It is possible that emergency responders may be unable to respond to your reported emergency. Please note that Organizations may use your location information for purposes of sending notifications and responding to emergencies.
- Use of Collected Information; Limitation on Use.
6.1 General Uses. SaferWatch will use Collected Information to:
- Provide and operate the Services, including to allow Organizations to access and use the Event Information, including for purposes of responding to emergency and non-emergency situations;
- Enable You to access and use the Services, including uploading, downloading, and sharing User Information and Event Information;
- Enable Organizations to respond to Your requests, inquiries, comments and concerns, including to respond to your tips or reports that you submit through the App (which may include attempts to respond to or prevent crimes);
- Enable certain Organizations (including law enforcement) to access and use certain User Information and Event Information to perform their public safety and law enforcement activities (e.g. find missing children);
- Deliver information to Users and to contact Users regarding administrative notices;
- Respond to Your requests, inquiries, comments and concerns;
- Evaluate and improve the Services, and our other products and services and to develop new products, services, features and benefits;
- Provide technical, product and other support for the Services;
- Identify usage trends and for data analysis, including for purposes of research, audit and reporting;
- Comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements; and
- For our business and commercial purposes as described below.
SaferWatch uses Collected Information generally in our business operations and activities and for our commercial purposes consistent with Applicable Law. We may also match or combine Collected Information that You provide with information that we obtain from other sources or that is already in our records, whether collected online or offline or by predecessor or affiliated group companies, for the purposes described above. Without limiting the foregoing, please note that SaferWatch may use Collected Information for purposes of performing research and data analytics related to security and emergency and non-emergency situations occurring within a particular location. SaferWatch may also sell User Information to third parties for purposes of enabling them to conduct their own research and data analytics and otherwise engage in commercial activities based thereon.
6.3 Sale of Business or Bankruptcy. If SaferWatch should ever file for bankruptcy or have SaferWatch’s assets sold to or merge with another entity (or if SaferWatch otherwise engages in any business combination, sale, acquisition or similar transaction in which SaferWatch or its assets are sold), all information SaferWatch receives from User through use of the Services (including all Collected Information) is SaferWatch’s asset and may be transferred without any restriction.
- Sharing of Information. SaferWatch may share and disclose Collected Information with third parties, including as follows:
- Public Users. If you are an Organization User using the Services to communicate with Public Users, we will share your Event Information or other communications with Public Users based on permissions and settings selected by you.
- Organization Users. If you are a Public User using the Services to communicate with an Organization and its Organization Users, we will share your Event Information and certain User Information or other communications with that Organization and its Organization Users. The Organization receiving Event Information, User Information or other communications from a Public User may, among other things, use it for purposes of responding to emergency and non-emergency situations, engaging in law enforcement and emergency responder activities (including to respond to or prevent crimes), as well as generally tracking and monitoring the safety of certain geographic areas over time.
- Our Service Providers. We may engage third parties to provide the Services and we may provide Collected Information to them in order to provide the Services (e.g. website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, infrastructure provision, IT services, VoIP service providers, customer service, email delivery services, credit card processing, etc.).
- Affiliates. We may share your Collected Information with our Affiliates who will use such information in accordance with their own privacy policies.
- Partners. We may share your Collected Information with our corporate partners and other third parties related to our business or for their business purposes. This may include for their commercial purposes.
- Corporate and Asset Transactions. If we sell all or substantially all of our business or sell or transfer all or a material part of our assets, or are otherwise involved in a merger or transfer of all or a substantial part of our business, we may transfer all information we have collected and stored, including Collected Information, to the party or parties involved in the transaction as part of that transaction.
- Response to Legal Requests. We may share Collected Information (including, without limitation, your name, photograph, address, IP address, device information, current location and other activity on the App) with courts, law enforcement agencies, or other government bodies when we have a good faith belief we’re required or permitted to do so by law, including to meet national security or law enforcement needs, to protect our Company, or to respond to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, or other law enforcement requests. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT WE MAY SHARE COLLECTED INFORMATION FROM THE APP WITH EMERGENCY RESPONDERS, LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES AND CERTAIN OTHER ENTITIES, INCLUDING UPON THEIR REQUEST.
- Other Uses. We may share your Collected Information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our Terms of Service or End User License Agreement; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our Affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
- Sharing Features. As described above and in our Terms of Service and/or End User License Agreement, the Services offer communication and sharing features or other integrated features, which allow you to share Event Information through the Services and to otherwise communicate with others. As a function of the interactive nature of the Services and based on the permissions and settings selected by you or the applicable Organization, the use of such features may enable the sharing of Event Information with other Users or Organizations. YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL OF ANY COLLECTED INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE OR USE, INCLUDING ANY EVENT INFORMATION.
- 9. Updating and Correcting Information. SaferWatch believes each User should have the ability to access and edit the Personally Identifiable Information that you have provided to SaferWatch. User may contact SaferWatch to determine what Personally Identifiable Information we have on User by contacting SaferWatch through the appropriate contact information or web forms located on the Site and/or the App.
Please include first and last name, address, and email address when contacting SaferWatch. SaferWatch encourages User to promptly update User’s Personally Identifiable Information if it changes. In addition, it may be impossible to completely delete User’s Personally and Non-Personally Identifiable Information without some residual information because of reasons including, but not limited to, server backups and disaster recovery. User acknowledges that altering, updating or deleting any Personally or Non-Personally Identifiable Information may alter the functioning or operation of the Services for User. User also acknowledges that in the event that Collected Information has been shared with a third party prior to any request, such third party shall have the right to use such information pursuant to the rights granted by SaferWatch (and by User to SaferWatch) prior to such request. Without limiting the foregoing, any Event Information or other Collected Information may be used by third parties after any update or deletion request.
- User Choices on Collection and Use of Information.
10.2 Disabling Cookies. User also has choices with respect to cookies, as described below. By modifying browser preferences, User may have the choice to accept all cookies, to be notified when a cookie is set, or to reject all cookies. If User chooses to reject all or some cookies, some parts of SaferWatch’s Services may not work properly in User’s case.
10.3 Opt-Out. At any time, you may opt out of allowing us to use your Personally Identifiable Information by contacting us at the information set forth below in Section 14. We will process your request within a reasonable time. However, please note that in certain instances, we may have already used or shared your Personally Identifiable Information consistent with this Policy prior to your opt out and your opt-out will not affect such prior use or sharing. In addition, you may not be able to use the Services if you opt-out.
- Security of Information. The importance of security for all Collected Information associated with SaferWatch’s Users is important to SaferWatch. SaferWatch values the privacy and security of Collected Information and uses reasonable efforts to protect User’s Collected Information so that it is secure. However, User acknowledges that no data transmission or hosting over the Internet or any wired or wireless network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure and neither can the storage of such data or information. As a result, while SaferWatch strives to protect User’s Collected Information, User acknowledges that (i) there are security and privacy limitations of the Internet and mobile platforms which are beyond SaferWatch’s control; (ii) the security, integrity and privacy of any and all information and data exchanged between User and SaferWatch through the Services and data and information that is stored by SaferWatch cannot be guaranteed; and (iii) any such information and data may be viewed or tampered with in transit or in rest by a third party. AS A RESULT, WITH REGARD TO THE SECURITY AND INTEGRITY OF COLLECTED INFORMATION, USER USES THE SITE, THE APP AND ALL OF THE OTHER SERVICES AT USER’S OWN RISK.
- Additional Information on Cookies.
12.1 General Information. When User uses the Sites, SaferWatch may store cookies on User’s computer in order to facilitate and customize User’s use of the Sites. A cookie is a small data text file, which a web site stores on User’s computer’s hard drive (if User’s Web browser permits) that can later be retrieved to identify User to SaferWatch. The cookies make User’s use of the Sites easier, make the Sites run more smoothly and help SaferWatch to maintain and operate secure Sites, although SaferWatch makes no such guarantees about the Sites’ operation. User is always free to decline SaferWatch’s cookies if User’s browser permits, but some parts of the Sites may not work properly in that case. To learn more about cookies, including how to enable cookies, change your browser settings and find and delete cookies on your hard drive, please refer to your web browser’s help menus or visit www.allaboutcookies.org. By using the Site, you are deemed to unambiguously agree to its use of any cookies that you do not disable.
12.2 Third Party Cookies. As part of your use of the Services, certain service providers may place a separate cookie on your computer (e.g. Google Analytics, etc.).
- Third Party Providers; Scope.
13.1 Third Party Providers. As described above, we may use third party service providers to facilitate use and operation of the Site and/or the App and for other Services related activities (e.g. we use Amazon Web Services to provide infrastructure services). Your Collected Information may be provided to and used by such third parties.
- Do Not Track Disclosures; California Requirements.
14.1 Do Not Track. Do Not Track is a privacy preference that users can set in their web browsers. When a user turns on the Do Not Track signal, the browser sends a message to websites requesting them not to track the user. For information about Do Not Track, visit www.allaboutdnt.org. At this time, SaferWatch does not respond to Do Not Track browser settings or signals. In addition, SaferWatch may use other technology that is standard to the Internet, such as pixel tags, web beacons, and other similar technologies, to track visitors to the Site or one of the affiliated pages hosted at the SaferWatch domain. Those tools may be used by us and by third parties to collect information about you and your internet activity, even if you have turned on the Do Not Track signal.
14.2 Request of Information for California Users. California Civil Code Section 1798.83 entitles California users to request information concerning whether a business has disclosed certain information about you to any third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. California users who wish to request further information in compliance with this law or have questions or concerns about our privacy practices and policies may contact us as specified in the “How to Contact Us” section below.
- Data Retention. The length of time we keep your information depends on the purpose for which we collected that information and how it is used or being used. Subject to Section 9 and 10.3, we may retain certain Collected Information indefinitely and may delete or remove other Collected Information according to your business practices.
- Tipping. The Services allow Public Users to report or tip information to Organizations about a crime or suspicious activity on both an identified and anonymous basis. In connection with any anonymous tip submission, SaferWatch will store your Collected Information to allow for two-way communication. However, your name and phone number and other Collected Information will generally not be displayed to the Organization or to enforcement agencies or other third parties except where required by law or as set forth in Section 7 of this Policy (Response to Legal Requests). For clarity, you understand that the reporting of anonymous tips may not remain anonymous upon a request from a law enforcement agency, emergency service provider or other similar entity, including in the event that you make False Reports (as defined in our Terms of Service) or for any legitimate or lawful reason and SaferWatch may release Collected Information related to you in such events. In addition, SaferWatch uses industry standard encryption and other safeguards to provide security and anonymity of the information being submitted. Although such encryption and safeguards are utilized, due to the nature of Internet and mobile SMS delivery networks, we cannot and do not guarantee 100% security, or timely delivery or receipt of the information you submit. Neither SaferWatch nor any third party makes any representation as to if, how, or when any information you submit may be acted upon by law enforcement agencies or public safety officials. In addition, SaferWatch cannot guarantee how often (if ever) any such Organization, agency or official will review and monitor submitted tips or take any actions related thereto. Under no circumstances should you rely on the anonymous tip service to report issues of an emergency nature or for conditions requiring an immediate response. If your issue is an emergency, please dial your local emergency responder.
- Miscellaneous Issues.
17.1 Age Policies. User must be at least 13 years old to have SaferWatch’s permission to use any of the Services. SaferWatch’s policy is that SaferWatch does not knowingly collect, use or disclose any Personally Identifiable Information (or other information) about Users that are under 13 years of age. See our End User License Agreement for more information on age of Users.
Email: Support @ SaferWatchApp.com
17.4 Other Terms of Service. Your use of the Services is also subject to, and you agree to, our Terms of Service and/or End User License Agreement applicable to the Services. The term “including” as used in this Policy shall mean “including, without limitation,” unless the context otherwise requires.