How Do Personal Safety Alert Apps Work?
One of the most dangerous parts of an emergency situation is a lack of communication. If no one knows it’s happening — no one can help. If law enforcement arrives on a scene with no knowledge of the situation, the danger can escalate quickly. Communicating a risk before it even happens can not only prevent it but allow first responders to arrive before things get out of hand.
Safety apps are a fast, easy, and effective way to increase communication between community members and first responders.
If you’ve been interested or hesitant to install a safety alert app, here’s some more information to help you make up your mind.
What is a Safety Alert App?
Safety alert apps are designed to alert or inform guardians or first responders of an emergency or dangerous situation. This could be your family or friends if you’re walking home alone in the dark or you’ve found yourself in the middle of an emergency. Some safety alert apps are also designed to contact local law enforcement and other first responders in the event of an emergency.
Why it Makes Sense to Have a Smartphone App for Personal Security
You might think you’d never use a safety alert app. Honestly, we hope you never have to! But every day, we find ourselves in situations where it might be nice to let someone know where we are.
Think of these scenarios:
- The only time you can find to go running is at night. And you’re alone.
- You’re at a mall when an active shooter is present.
- Someone suspicious is following you home.
- You see someone getting mugged in an alley.
In all of these situations, a safety alert app could let your family know where you are and when you’ll be home. You can alert law enforcement of an emergency and help them respond quickly and efficiently. You can have peace of mind knowing that someone is aware of your situation and can help you if you need it.
For most people, the first thing they grab when heading out the door is a smartphone. Many apps are programmed so all you have to do is say a keyword or push a button and someone is alerted. You can let your family know when you’re leaving to go running or to the store and it can alert them when you’re home safe.
One of the top reasons to get a safety alert app? Prevention. Many local law enforcement agencies are encouraging schools and businesses to adopt safety alert apps and teach everyone how to use them. Students can report suspicious activity, anonymously, and help prevent tragedies at their schools.
And many school districts and sheriff departments are turning to SaferWatch.
How SaferWatch Works
There are a lot of great safety apps out there. But some focus on personal safety and others on community action. SaferWatch does both. Here are some of our favorite features:
- Panic buttons. You can even specify the type of threat: active shooter, fire, physical violence, or a medical emergency.
- Notifications. You can set the app to alert you when local hospitals, schools, concert venues, airports, or workplaces are experiencing an emergency. Parents, in particular, like this feature.
- Submit tips. You can alert local law enforcement of a situation you find suspicious. Students can let people know when a peer’s behavior is concerning or dangerous. And they can even do it anonymously.
- Two-way communication. Using SaferWatch, you can communicate with first responders and other authorities about an emergency situation.
- Connects to surveillance. One of the best ways to improve response time of law enforcement is video surveillance. They can assess the need and level of emergency and arrive prepared to handle the situation.
- Location alerts. You can send your location to emergency contacts whenever you choose. You can also let them know when you should be home — then they know if there’s something amiss.
Here’s how it works:
- Someone reports an incident. As soon as this happens, SaferWatch sends a location and profile description to emergency contacts.
- Administrators receive notifications and alerts can also be sent to local law enforcement.
- After the report is verified and help is en route, mass notification is sent out to anyone within the area to help them stay safe.
The great thing about SaferWatch? It’s easy to install and easy to use. With easy-to-understand graphics, it’s clear, even when you’re in the middle of an emergency, what you need to do. Just downloading the app can help keep you and your loved ones safe in an emergency through alerts and notifications.
So, what are you waiting for?
Download Now: for iOS on the App Store for Android on Google Play